Within just a few years, Georg Nolte makes the leap from average worker to factory owner. In 1921, he sets up his own factory manufacturing polishing wheels and cleaning materials in the town of Rheda. All his employees are women because good sewing skills are essential for manufacturing polishing wheels.
Georg Nolte acquires a furniture factory and marble polishing workshop. He enters the furniture sector. The furniture factory in the Westphalian town of Delbrück rapidly becomes one of the leading manufacturers of bedroom furniture. In 1937, supported by his eldest son Konrad, Georg Nolte builds a second furniture factory in Brilon.
In 1947 the family gathers for the wedding of Ferdinand Nolte, who manages the factory in Brilon. It is the first time they have all been together since the end of the war. In 1948, Ferdinand’s brother Konrad, manager of the Delbrück plant, introduces production line techniques. To secure the necessary supplies of raw materials, he also builds a plywood production plant in Rheda.
The "economic miracle” also creates a boom in the furniture sector. As a result, Konrad Nolte starts looking for another location. He finds it in the town of Germersheim in the Palatinate region of Germany. In 1955, he buys an unusual factory hall located directly on the banks of the River Rhine – at 770 metres it is the longest furniture factory in Europe.
At the end of the 1950s, Konrad Nolte starts manufacturing kitchens in Löhne. The “Swedish kitchen” is one of his most successful models. In 1966, his son Georg officially joins the company and takes responsibility for the Germersheim plant. His first act is to build a new production line and launch a range of bedroom furnishings for children and young people.
Nolte, with its range of bedrooms for young people and wall units, is the centre of attention at the German Furniture Trade Fair in Cologne in 1973. In 1974, to meet the growing demand for electric kitchens, Nolte opens a second kitchen plant in Melle. The factory in Germersheim is also being expanded continuously. Two new halls are constructed in 1978.
In the mid-1980s, Nolte begins to feel the effects of the crisis in the furniture sector as well. Despite this, the company invests in its particle board factory and new machines such as a thermal lamination plant. In 1988, the company switches its production strategy to made-to-order ranges – with almost immediate success.
Quality furniture products from Nolte have displayed the trademark of the German Furniture Quality Assurance Association since 1993.